Up Stones from the County Walk Prev Next Slideshow

The Miami-Erie Canal was completed in 1845 and connected the Ohio River with Lake Erie to facilitate more efficient transport of passengers, perishables, and bulk cargoes. By 1906, however, the Canal had been rendered largely obsolete by railroads, and in 1913 it was partially destroyed by a flood. Putnam County’s stone is from the wall of Lock 30, one of the 130 locks along the Canal’s 301.49 mile length. | Putnam

 Previous image  Next image  Index page
Putnam.jpg - The Miami-Erie Canal was completed in 1845 and connected the Ohio River with Lake Erie to facilitate more efficient transport of passengers, perishables, and bulk cargoes. By 1906, however, the Canal had been rendered largely obsolete by railroads, and in 1913 it was partially destroyed by a flood. Putnam County’s stone is from the wall of Lock 30, one of the 130 locks along the Canal’s 301.49 mile length.

Total images: 102 | Last update: 10/12/08 12:55 PM | Help