Up Stones from the County Walk Prev Next Slideshow

Sandusky County’s representative stone was excavated from the foundation of the James and Elizabeth Whitaker cabin. The Wyandot Indians gave Whitaker a large tract of land three miles north of lower Sandusky (present day Fremont), where the Whitakers started married life in 1781, making the home the earliest known, permanent homestead in Ohio. Don Miller, present owner of the “Whitaker Reserve,” donated this stone. | Sandusky

 Previous image  Next image  Index page
Sandusky.jpg - Sandusky County’s representative stone was excavated from the foundation of the James and Elizabeth Whitaker cabin. The Wyandot Indians gave Whitaker a large tract of land three miles north of lower Sandusky (present day Fremont), where the Whitakers started married life in 1781, making the home the earliest known, permanent homestead in Ohio. Don Miller, present owner of the “Whitaker Reserve,” donated this stone.

Total images: 102 | Last update: 10/12/08 12:55 PM | Help