The Carlile Family, 1936-1954
In 1936 Malcolm Jeffrey’s sister, Florence Jeffrey Carlile, and her husband, William Wilson Carlile, bought the house from Jeffrey’s widow. Mr. Carlile was an attorney who served as general counsel for the Jeffrey Manufacturing Company.
Shortly after purchasing the house, Mr. and Mrs. Carlile added a master suite on the second floor and a large room and screened-in porch to the main level. Mr. Carlile, an avid gardener, planted the rose garden on the property.
William Wilson Carlile passed away in 1941. Florence Jeffrey Carlile remained in the house until her death in 1954. The Carlile’s daughter Janet and her husband the Rev. Charles Harris donated the house to the state of Ohio to be used as an executive residence.